Post by DarkKobold on Feb 4, 2020 20:46:44 GMT
Update (3/14) I found an artist, and progress has continued! Here's the first 3 minutes of gameplay as a teaser. Be sure to watch on youtube.
So, in October, I contacted a retro game company about "porting" their game to PC Engine. I started, but then I went a completely different route, and made it my own version of their game, using their character. (PLEASE keep guesses as to who the character was out of this thread. Thank you.) After doing considerable work, they told me they weren't interested in my game. Despite that, I was really enjoying the process (and the mental break from Catastrophy) and so I continued... to the point that I have a near complete game, with near zero art assets I can actually use. That said, it dual compiles as both HuCard and CD, and I already have an arrangement with the music artist for the CD tracks.
Its a Metroidvania style game set in an Egyptian Pyramid. 6 Different sections with 80 rooms each (5 currently fully designed), 2 different endings, 6 Unique boss fights. (4 of which are complete or near complete) ~13 different items, tons of upgrades, and lots of exploration to do. I wish I could share videos, but due to the IP restrictions, and really not wanting to throw my friends company under the bus, I'm just not wanting to post things publicly. (I'm willing to share privately with anyone who promises to keep the drama out of it, and just wants to see)
I will be requesting public help though. Right now the CD overlays for each section are compiling to 232-240kB each, limiting the amount I can add. One place I could save is the map generation, shown below. It uses a huge image (160x128 pixels), which really could be just generated from the STM I include. I wrote C code to do it, but its incredibly slow. Also, since rooms are 16x13, it stretches them into 16x16 so I can "blank" which rooms haven't been explored. However, I have to generate each room in RAM, and then move it to VRAM. This took ~2 minutes with my crappy C code.